Monday, October 31, 2016

Note to self - stop touching the print bed when it's printing - or "the tale of the cursed stl"

Funny story guys... during my technically third attempt at the Art Deco box I placed something on the bed to compare sizes and it caught on one of the exposed screws and held the bed in place when it should have been moving. This of course caused the entire print to shift about an inch and ruined it at about the same spot that my first attempt was ruined.

On my fourth attempt to reprint ... from the beginning... again I ran out of pla halfway through. I have the remainder of a 100 yard spool sampler that came with my printer, it is translucent white. I attempted to feed it in as the black ran out, but for some reason it just didn't fit in. Honestly I'm not sure if the rest of the white spool would even have finished the print, as I was about halfway through and there wasn't a ton of filament left.

I am hoping that my 5th attempt at printing this Art Deco box from thingiverse will prove successful and I will be able to post some pictures. In the meantime I'll probably end up posting a couple snaps of what I ended up with so you can compare and contrast in the pla vs. Abs.

I considered switching to abs since I have three nearly full spools of abs but I haven't been able to properly calibrate my printer to work with abs. I have gotten it to work a little bit but I end up with an obscene amount of warping and or cracking in my prints. So I now have a roll of black pla in the mail from Amazon it should be here Tuesday the 1st. I also ordered some antique bronze pla it should be here about the same time. This will be great because I have had a request to print a bust of Teddy Roosevelt and I think that bronze wood accent that pretty well.

But that's a future post for days to come. In the meanwhile here's a comparison picture of print in abs and the same print in pla.

No comments:

Post a Comment